Let's talk today about the Bottled water. To do this, think a moment about these questions: Do you buy water in plastic bottles? Or do you buy it in glass bottles? When it comes to buying bottled water, we always look at its composition, know its origin, or know if it is weak mineralization, but have you ever wondered what impact it can have Plastic for our health ?
Today, we invite you to know this interesting information with us.
Packaged water: Which is the healthiest?
Today we find the bottled water of two forms in our supermarkets: In glass and plastic . Plastic containers have always aroused great controversy. They have a very negative impact on the environment, caused by a very powerful industry, responsible for generating the plastic , The labeling and even the privatization of water. However, the most important aspect is whether this type of water is healthy or not for our health.
Let us now see the most relevant information on this topic.
1. Plastic bottles
The plastic bottles are made with a compound called Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) . And what exactly is this? It is a polymer, a chemical element that, according to several studies, can transmit certain elements to water. Thus, we can say that the bottled water that we drink from plastic bottles, can be altered due to this material. Now what are these Particles that can be released from PET:
- Phthalates . These elements serve to give flexibility to the plastic. They will only be harmful to health if they reach our body in high amounts, as they could cause, for example, endocrine problems. Even so, we must know that these chemicals will always be present in every plastic bottle we consume.
- Antimony. It is an essential catalyst for making PET. Does it damage our health? Of course. Can produce Cancer And respiratory problems. However, the sanitary authorities establish limits of migration from the bottle to the water, which are usually in very small quantities. For our peace of mind, WHO is also responsible for ensuring that these measures are implemented.
- Formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. These compounds are what make our water sometimes have the classic"plastic taste". Experts tell us that this only happens when we expose the bottles to the Sun , When these compounds go into the water, so take special care. PET bottles, under normal conditions of use, do not have too many concentrations of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde.
Let us conclude then. Is PET dangerous to our health? No, there is no direct risk. Health authorities are working to ensure that standards are met and, in general, the concentrations of these harmful particles that pass from plastic to water are usually very low.
However, there are Much healthier options Which will avoid this risk. If we stop to think about the amount of water we consume a year that has been bottled in plastic bottles, we may be a little scared. Hence, it is better that we consider other options more interesting, and also much more ecological.
2. Healthier options for water bottled in plastic bottles
- Bottles packed in glass containers . Obviously will be more expensive, but suppose a healthy alternative that must be taken into account.
- A filter for tap water. As you know, tap water is another interesting option, but sometimes it is not very healthy, as it has too much calcium Or other elements that are not pleasing to us. However, we can install a small reverse osmosis filter that will help us eliminate those unhealthy elements.
- Specific water purifying vases . A system very similar to that of the filters of the faucets. They purify the water, eliminate bad smell, bad taste and optimize it in a very healthy way for daily consumption.
Things You Should Never Do With Plastic Bottles
- Fill the bottles of mineral water : It is a very high risk that we must never run. There are many people who when they finish drinking the water from their plastic bottle keep it to fill it again. This warning already appears in the labeling of the majority of containers and, with this, they are intended to avoid microbiological hazards. When a plastic bottle is empty, numerous fungi or Bacteria . When filled with water, these elements will end up in our body and they will make us sick. Nor can we ignore that, over time, the harmful elements of the PET that we have named before you are released from the plastic and reach the water more easily. So, remember: When you finish a little bottle of water, take it directly to the recycling bin!
- Never expose the water bottle to the sun: We have already pointed out in the previous point. When the plastic comes into contact with something hot like the sun, fire or intense light, formaldehyde and acetaldehyde, which cause not only the bad taste of water, but also indigestiones. Always keep the water in a cool place and in the shade!