You may have heard of the thyroid And the problems that can generate health, especially in the case of women. If you are not clear about what we are talking about, you should know that It is a gland located in the neck , Which interferes in many functions of our organism.
This gland is involved in the production of thyroxine (or T4) and triiodothyronine (or T3) hormones, Which are the ones that regulate the metabolism And affect the functioning of other organs of our body.
When the thyroid works in the normal way, we can carry a more free diet, without specific foods. However, when we experience some type of anomaly in the thyroid , Such as hyperthyroidism (when the gland produces more hormones than it should) or hypothyroidism (produces fewer hormones than it should) It is necessary to take a special diet , As food plays a very important role in improving these conditions and our quality of life.
Foods to regulate hyperthyroidism
It is said that a person suffers from hyperthyroidism when his thyroid gland is highly stimulated and produces more hormones than it should produce in a normal state.
As a consequence of this excess of hormones, it can generate a state of catabolism in the organism and, in turn, weightloss And muscle mass. For these cases the food must be mostly energetic and, of course, balanced.
Dairy: milk, yogurt and cheese
- If possible, milk and yogurt should be consumed as usual or through different cooking.
- Prepare an enriched milk using yogurt, condensed milk and whole milk powder. The result can be used in your fruit smoothies, desserts, purees or to eat with cereals.
- Do not hesitate to use milk or yogurt to add flavor to your shakes and take advantage of its benefits.
- Includes cheese in salads, soups, pasta, or tortillas, among others.
Protein foods: eggs, meats and fish
- Cook an egg, let it harden and slice it into salads, pasta, soups or vegetables. The same thing you can do with meats and fish, in small portions.
- Beat an egg and add it to purees, soups, creams, sauces or milk shakes.
- Make rolls of meat and vegetables, or prepare stuffed tortillas.
Oils and fats
- Use cream, cream, Butter , Mayonnaise, olive oil and other fats.
- Do not forget to increase the consumption of nuts by adding them to the salads, stews, shakes or consuming them directly.
Sugar, honey, bread and cookies
- In moderate amounts, you can add sugar or preferably honey, to your fruit smoothies, juices, milk or desserts.
- Bread and cookies (whole) can be eaten at breakfast or snack.
- If you like, you can eat bread with soups and purees.
Foods to regulate hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism is another abnormality in thyroid gland what Is produced when there is a decrease in the production of thyroid hormones. This ailment is usually accompanied by symptoms such as fatigue, tiredness, hair loss, drowsiness and can become overweight or obese.
In this case, it is very important to go to an endocrine doctor, as he is the only one who can prescribe and supervise the treatment of oral thyroid hormones as well as a specific diet. In these cases you must have a more strict and balanced diet that includes food from all groups: Dairy, raw or cooked vegetables, fruit, protein foods, cereals, fats, among others.
Foods rich in fiber and low in fat
- Consume lean meats , Such as chicken, beef, turkey and rabbit. White and blue fish, and eggs. All of these foods should be consumed in small portions, preferably 3 to 4 servings per week.
- If you want to consume dairy products , These must be skim milk and yogurts and skim cheeses.
- Instead, sugar should be Consume stevia or honey.
- Increases consumption of vegetables and fruits , Especially those that are consumed raw.
- Consume cereal and starch in moderate portions , Such as bread, potatoes, rice, legumes, pasta, among others.
- Uses olive oil as fat , But not to exceed.
- Increases water consumption , Drinks infusions and natural juices.
- Consume more lemon and spices.
- Being a more delicate food and a more difficult ailment to treat, those who suffer from hypothyroidism should use forms of cooking such as iron, oven, boiled, microwave, steam or papillote. If possible, avoid fried, battered, stewed, breaded and preserved in oil.
- This condition requires an increase in physical activity , Whether walking, running, climbing stairs, bicycling, or strength exercises. Anything goes.
- Meals should be distributed between 4 and 5 servings per day, Without calming"antojitos"between them.
- For no reason should you skip a main meal.