We are sure that you have heard great wonders about Goji berries . We also know that, if you have ever bought them, the first thing that will have surprised you is its almost exorbitant price. Now, for all who trust in their properties, every investment is short.
It is often said that Goji berries come from the Himalayas And that one of its main benefits is to combat aging. Often attributed almost miraculous characteristics and many people claim to have improved their health thanks to these little crimson-colored berries, from which also numerous Cosmetics .
And now tell us do you usually consume Goji berries? Are you curious to know a little more about them? So do not hesitate to read this article to discover all its benefits and also some of those risks that are worth taking into account.
Benefits of Goji Berries
Goji berries are actually A type of dried cherry originating in China and Mongolia , Although at the time of commercialization they are affected mainly in that they are cultivated in the Himalayan region. They are considered a superfood and, for many centuries, have been a habitual and very healthy product among the population of these regions.
Its taste is delicate and sweet, very suitable to take them alone or even in rich shakes, But let us now speak of their properties.
What nutrients do Goji berries bring us?
- In the first place, Its high level in antioxidants, Especially beta-carotene. Its concentration in these berries is as high as in the Carrots .
- They are very rich in vitamins C and throughout the vitamin B complex, especially B1, B2 and B6.
- Do you know what minerals they have? Take note: iron, zinc, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, copper and selenium. Wonderful! With only 2 tablespoons daily we obtain a good complement.
- They have many amino acids, which makes Goji berries very suitable for the whole family.
- They have very adequate doses of tryptophan, perfect for relaxing.
What Health Benefits Can Goji Berries Have?
The main benefits of Goji berries are based, above all, on their high level of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, which can help us in all these dimensions:
- Improve our immune system .
- They are very suitable for people who have just passed through an illness or who have vitamin deficits.
- They bring energy and vitality.
- Relieves joint pain.
- They are suitable for people with diabetes.
- Strengthen liver function.
- They are suitable for treating the effects of menopause.
- Thanks to their high level of antioxidants, they combat the effect of free radicals.
- They improve circulation.
- The Goji berries are diuretic and favor the purification of the organism.
- Many people use them to slim down , Because they also help us to accelerate the metabolism.
How are Goji berries consumed?
If you dare to try them (and you can also afford to pay their high price), you should know what is the most appropriate way to consume them:
- We should take between 20 and 40 grams per day (2 tablespoons).
- You can combine them with a natural yogurt, with your cereals , In a salad or even mixed with other fruits.
- You can also buy powdered Goji berries for infusions. In this case they are used, above all, to calm the nerves thanks to their doses of tryptophan.
- In addition to buying them dried or infused, you will also find rich juices made from Goji berries and capsules with their natural extract. The price, as you can certainly intuit, will remain high.
The Risks Of Eating Goji Berries
In general, we can say that the health benefits of Goji berries are undoubtedly higher than the risks that we can cause. Now, there is a series of data that we have to take into account and which we go on to detail:
- The Spanish Agency for Food Safety and Nutrition (AESAN) Tells us that because of the popularity of Goji berries, their production has ceased to be as"natural"as we expect. Obviously, they do not occur in the Himalayas, in those latitudes so healthy and in such suitable conditions. Goji berries are already cultivated in several places in the world and in high quantities, which means that numerous Pesticides .
- In an analysis carried out by The OCU (Organization of consumers and users), it was concluded that in a kilo of Goji berries there are, on average, 0.2 mg of cadmium, lead, copper and even 13 different pesticides . It is something we must keep in mind.
- We already know that many of the foods we take today are cultivated in the same way, it is not exclusive to Goji berries. The problem is that we usually sell this product for their Medicinal miracles , Forcing us to pay a high price when, in fact, its cultivation has not been so"natural".
In conclusion, to the question of whether Goji berries are healthy, the answer is yes. Now, when it comes to buying them, Go to an organic establishment where you are assured that they have not been treated with pesticides.