Papaya is a delicious tropical fruit that became popular all over the world thanks to its many medicinal benefits. Whether green or mature, the papaya Is a very nutritious food, rich in antioxidants like carotene, vitamin C and flavonoids ; Also contains B vitamins, minerals such as potassium and magnesium and dietary fiber.
Most people in the world prefer to eat papaya when it is already ripe and sweet. However, there are also those who consume it green, by its particular flavor and its properties. As a result, many people have doubts about how best to consume it, green or mature? The truth is that in both ways is very beneficial and have little nutritional differences.
Green papayas are richer in potassium, compared to papayas that are ripe . This is because this mineral is necessary for the development of plant roots, as well as in regulating the intake of water and nutrients. Therefore, when the papaya is ripe, it no longer needs so many amounts of this mineral.
Another plus for green papayas is that they are richer in papain as compared to mature ones. Papain is an enzyme belonging to the family of proteins, which promotes the function of digestive system .
The counter of green papayas is the content of a latex fluid that can cause allergic reactions and irritations in some people. This fluid should be avoided completely in pregnancy, as it could cause miscarriage.
Papayas green and ripe
Both green and mature papayas are very good for a good digestion. But, in addition to this well-known benefit, Both forms of this powerful fruit have the following benefits:
- Anti-inflammatory power: For its papain contents, Papaya helps reduce inflammation And improves problems such as osteoarthritis , Asthma, gout and rheumatoid arthritis.
- High levels of antioxidants: Whatever the way to consume papaya, This has a high antioxidant value that could help prevent clogging of the arteries And various cardiovascular problems.
- They contain fiber: One of the main benefits of papayas is its high fiber content, which in addition to promoting good digestion, It could also help fight the malignant cells that cause colon cancer.
- Combat digestive problems: Regular consumption of papaya is ideal for preventing and fighting digestive problems such as chronic constipation, chronic diarrhea or bleeding, among others.
- Remedy for irregular menstrual periods: Women who suffer from irregular menstrual periods can consume green papaya juice daily to combat this problem. This juice helps to contract the belly muscles, which is why it should be avoided during pregnancy.
- Source of Vitamin A: Papaya juice is highly recommended for people who have a bad smoking habit or are passive smokers. Its properties help reduce lung inflammation caused by cigarette .
- It is good for the eyes: Both mature and green, papaya contains lutein and zeaxanthin carotenoids, which can protect the eyes from different eye diseases such as cataracts and glaucoma.
- Improves blood circulation: For its contents of vitamin C and vitamin E, along with antioxidants like beta-carotene and lycopene, Papaya can help reduce cholesterol in the arteries and thereby improve blood circulation.
- Low Calorie: The consumption of papaya can support very well the diet to lose weight because, besides contributing Feeling full , For every 100 grams only has 30 calories.
Tips for consuming papaya
You know that you can take advantage of the benefits of papaya, whether you eat it green or mature. However, we leave you some tips that could help you choose the best option:
- If you like sweet papaya and soft texture, it is best to wait until it has a reddish-yellow color.
- If you want to accelerate the maturation process of papaya You can place it in a paper bag, preferably along with a banana.
- If you like green papayas, you may be able to consult some recipes for making salads with green papaya. You will love it!
- Some are accustomed to bake the papaya to make desserts and different recipes. Nevertheless, The ideal is to consume it raw to make the most of your Antioxidant benefits .