A family dinner is coming, a meeting of friends or your cousin's birthday party and it's in costume (I bring pizza, I wear coke, I brought potatoes...). Total, you have to bring something and you feel like cooking. Choices are potato omelet and pie. The omelet we all know how it is made, the empanada is not popular knowledge. Well, here we explain how to make a tasty Ham and cheese pie (Although later you can throw yourself and change the filling to make it meat, tuna, vegetables or whatever you think).
Option 1: Ham and cheese pie for beginners
- 2 plates of puff pastry
- 300g of cheese Emmental
- 250g cooked ham
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven At 180 ° C above and below.
- Spread one of the puff pastry sheets on a baking sheet.
- To put slices of ham until covering the whole surface, but Leaving 2 cm at the edges .
- On the ham put slices of cheese.
- Repeat both layers of ham and cheese.
- Beat the egg And paint the 2 cm edge with a brush
- Put the other sheet of puff pastry on top and Push the edges So that the two parts stick together. Pinch or make a braid to the edge to seal it well.
- Pinch the surface with a fork or make cuts with a cutter or a roll of puff cut (depending on how professional one is).
- Paint the entire surface With the beaten egg.
- Bake in a moderate oven (about 180ºC), above and below for about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven when golden.
Option 2: Ham and cheese puff pastry
- 2 plates of dough puff pastry
- Sliced ham
- Sliced cheese
- sauce bechamel to taste
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC
- Spread one of the puff sheets on a baking sheet Pre-lined with baking paper R (the same one in which the puff sheets are wrapped)
- Press the whole surface of the dough with a fork and paint it with beaten egg.
- Place the slices of York Ham, Lightly overlapping them With each other, leaving a border around uncovered.
- Place the cheese slices on top of the ham slices.
- Add the béchamel *, spreading it all over the surface.
- Repeat another layer of ham.
- Cover with the other plate of puff pastry and Close well, Pressing the whole edge with your fingers. You can make an ornament around with the fork or with strips of puff pastry.
- To paint with egg Beaten and pricked with fork.
- Bake above and below until golden brown.
* To make the béchamel: Cover the base of a pot with olive oil and heat. Slowly, add two tablespoons of flour (if you are patient, sieved. If not, you can do without sifting) while stirring with a wooden spoon. When the flour has the consistency of a puree, but without becoming a paste, add the milk slowly and continue stirring for about 20 minutes. It is important Do not stop stirring at any time while making the béchamel.
Option 3: Ham and cheese bread empanada
- 1 glass of milk (14 tablespoons)
- 1 glass of oil (14 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons of yeast
- Flour (the one you admit)
- 2 eggs
- Sliced ham
- Sliced cheese
- Mix milk, oil, yeast, an egg and salt in a bowl.
- Add the flour little by little until a consistent dough is formed, That is not sticky .
- Preheat oven to 200 ° C above and below.
- Spread half of the dough on a baking sheet previously lined with baking paper and puncture with a fork.
- Place a layer of York ham on the dough, Leaving a border About 2 cm.
- Put one Layer of cheese On the ham of York
- Repeat both layers.
- Place the other half of the dough (previously extended with a roller) on top and press together the edges.
- Dough With a fork and paint with egg smoothie.
- Bake until golden brown.