When the skin surrounding the nail appears red and swollen, and it is annoying or painful to the touch, we may be suffering from a ingrown toenail and we may even have an infection.
In this article we explain what they are, why they originate and some natural remedies that will help you treat them at home.
What are ingrown nails?
When we see that the skin on the edge of the nail is reddening and even infected, it is possible that we have a nail that has embedded itself in the flesh that surrounds it. The most common is that we pass on the big toe , But actually we can happen on any finger.
We then go over why this happens.
Why does it happen?
There is no single cause of ingrown toenails. The most common reasons are:
- Inadequate shoes That tighten or do not fit well, especially if we perform sports or activities that require us to move or stand often.
- Nail Which have not been trimmed correctly.
- Physical foot issues , Such as deformations or special forms of the fingers, which cause additional pressure on other toes. Keep in mind that some people, because of genetic issues, are already born with curled toenails, too big or with a tendency to grow down. That is why there are people who often suffer from this problem despite wearing the proper footwear and carefully watch the nail cut.
When to go to the doctor
Although we recommend a home and natural treatment, People with diabetes, injuries to the feet, ankles or legs or poor circulation In the feet should first go to the doctor, podiatrist or dermatologist. We should also go when we perceive that there is pus under the inflammation , Since infections should be treated as soon as possible.
Finally, if nails are usually embodyed and we have not found the cause, a doctor will also help us solve this annoying problem.
This is a simple, natural and natural method to treat ingrown nails:
- We submerged the affected foot in Hot water Several times throughout the day, at least three. We left it a couple of minutes and then dried the foot well.
- Gently massage the affected area, with the help of a little olive or almond oil. If we tend to infections, we can also add a drop of tea tree essential oil as it has antibiotic properties.
- We will take a piece of cotton or dental floss, moisten it and try to place it with patience under the nail.
- When we notice that the area has softened, after performing this process several times, we will repeat these steps and cut the nail carefully, with a razor sharp and clean.
- Cut the nail straight, leaving it square and without trimming too much. The areas that are more incarnated will avoid them, so that they slowly improve.
The prior art may still be more effective if instead of using only water we use thyme infusion.
He thyme Is a medicinal plant with multiple benefits. Among them, we Helps fight inflammations, infections and soothe pain , Making it an ideal remedy for treating ingrown toenails.
Prepare an infusion with a cup of water and two tablespoons of thyme. We will wield for five minutes and let it rest five more. We will use this infusion as we have highlighted in the previous point.
Remedy of lemon and salt
If the previous technique has not worked for us, we can also try an old very effective and economical remedy, since we will only need half lemon And a little Salt . We will drill a hole in the center of our half lemon, we will throw some sea salt and introduce the affected finger. We will leave it like this for 20 minutes, and we will do it daily until the finger is healed.
Both lemon and salt also act as disinfectants and disinfectants.
Images courtesy of mattsabo17 and devillibrarian