Water is an indispensable element for life. Most organisms on Earth have water composition to a greater or lesser extent. In the case of persons, the Water Constitutes 60% of the body, that is, more than half of our body is water. When the body lacks water and does not receive proper hydration, it deteriorates rapidly and can even lead to death.
How long can a person live without water?
Although for many it is hard to believe, there are records of people who have survived up to 90 days without ingesting any food, while those who have not drunk liquid have been unable to endure for more than 5 days.
It is estimated that The life limit of a person who does not drink any amount of water or other liquid is 4 days.
How much water should we drink daily?
On a general level, experts have recommended consuming 2 liters of water a day, or 6 or 8 glasses. However, to know more accurately How much water does our body need To stay hydrated and in proper functioning, we can take into account that One liter of water is recommended for every 25 kilograms of weight.
How do we know if our body is in need of water?
Although on many occasions we believe that our body is well hydrated and that things are going well, There are certain symptoms that could indicate that we are dehydrated and that we need to consume more water than normal.
High temperatures, diseases, or accumulation of toxins, among other factors, can increase the risk of dehydration and trigger different health problems that can decrease the quality of life . Among the symptoms that indicate dehydration we can find:
- Swollen eyes.
- Dry mouth.
- Dark color and strong odor in the urine.
- Pain when urinating.
- Constant feeling of thirst.
- Loss of elasticity of the skin.
- Feeling of confusion and fatigue.
- Increased risk of falls.
- Infections in the urinary tract.
- Formation of Kidney stones .
- Spasms in the muscles of the body.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Headaches and migraine.
- Dental problems
- Dry skin.
- Hair loss.
- Absence of tears when crying.
- Decrease in the amount of urine.
How to prevent dehydration?
To prevent Dehydration It is key to consume at least 2 liters of water per day, or the amount recommended according to the weight of each person. Athletes should increase their water consumption considerably depending on the type of exercise performed and the duration, as they must replenish fluids that are lost during routines.
What to do if our body lacks water?
If after knowing the symptoms of dehydration you identify that your body lacks water, ideally you start hydrating yourself with a good amount of water daily. You should consume water moderately and slowly because if you drink exaggerated amounts in a single intake, it can have negative effects on health. You can also provide water to the body through natural juices, juices, fruits and vegetables with high water content . When the symptoms are severe it is very important to go to the doctor, since it will be necessary to perform hydration intravenously.
What are the benefits of drinking water daily?
In addition to providing proper hydration to our body, The daily water consumption brings more health benefits than you can imagine. Among these benefits we find:
- Contributes to lose weight: Water is zero calories and can replace all types of soft drinks or juices rich in sugar. A good amount of water gives us feeling of satiety, contributes to the elimination of toxins and to the rhythm of the metabolism. Therefore, water consumption is imperative in diets to lose weight.
- Increase your energy: Water consumption prevents dehydration and helps to maintain the energy needed for everyday life.
- Improves heart health: Daily water consumption significantly reduces the risks of heart attack . For people with a tendency to suffer attacks, water consumption is an economic method and easy to reduce the possibilities.
- Improves digestion: The digestive system needs a good amount of water to carry out the digestion process. Daily water consumption helps reduce heartburn and constipation.
- For healthy and youthful skin: Water consumption prevents premature aging and all its signs on the skin. The water helps to maintain the firmness and collagen of the skin, keeping it soft, radiant and young.