Do you want to have an orchard at home and do not have too much space in the garden, or directly live in a flat with only a balcony? Do not worry! You can also enjoy a nice garden with certain foods"aptos" To sow in the city. One of the alternatives you have at your disposal are chives (also known as green onions or chives). Get to know more about this wonderful vegetable in the following article and do not hesitate to plant it in your window.
Features and Benefits of Chives
Present in many preparations, with a different flavor to that of the common onion, the chives are one of the stars in the gastronomy. One could say that it is about A more delicate taste for the culinary art and that at the same time has a great amount of nutritional benefits.
Chives are a bulb vegetable that provides very few calories. A cup contains only 32 calories. In turn, they provide 7.3 grams of carbohydrates, 2.6 grams of fiber, 0.1 grams of fat, 4 mg of Omega 3 fatty acids And 70 mg of Omega 6 fatty acids. These last two make it a vegetable more than beneficial to health.
For example, it serves to reduce cholesterol "Bad"(LDL), to improve brain functions and to prevent or avoid heart problems and strokes. As if that were not enough, chives are a great source of vitamin K. A cup of green onion or spring onion provides more than 250% of what is recommended per day. This nutrient plays a very important role in blood clotting because it prevents thrombus from forming in the arteries and causing heart attacks and strokes (ACVs).
Does that sound small? As there are still more advantages of chives. They contain nutrients such as vitamins A, B3, B6, B9 and C, iodine, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, selenium, iron , Folic acid and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Among the medicinal properties of the onion we have: cancer prevention, elimination of toxins from the body, prevention of cell aging, fight free radicals, stimulation of the immune system, prevention of heart disease, effectiveness to combat infections by mushrooms And bacteria, appetite stimulant in people undergoing surgery or chemotherapy, improved digestion and bone health, elimination of bad breath, effective treatment against depression and fatigue, or elimination of intestinal parasites.
In order to enjoy most of these properties, it is recommended to consume the chives or green onion, cut into thin slices, just before eating. It can also be used in preparations such as soups, sauces, fillings, salads or creams. Having such a delicious and unmistakable flavor, it is very versatile and worth incorporating into our daily diet.
How to grow chives at home?
When you buy chives, use them for your meals and take advantage of all its goodness, do not forget to keep the white ends, which has as a"hairs"(are the roots). In a cup with water place this supposed residue and leave it in a place where it gives enough sun.
It will immediately begin to grow, so much that you will no longer know what to do with such amount of chives . You can harvest them indefinitely. Think about giving your family, friends and neighbors!
To use at meals, just take a pair of scissors and cut the part you need. Remember to empty and change the water two or three times a week. Rinse roots well and return to fresh water.
It really is very simple and will not only serve you to eat healthier, but to save money . You only need a glass with water and lots of sun. It is not necessary to have a plot of land or an orchard.
You loved the idea of planting your own vegetables In the kitchen of your house, right? Then, you can take advantage of the characteristics of certain vegetables that grow again and again without needing many elements:
- Garlic: Instead of tossing the germinated teeth, place them in a glass with water and you will get some sprouts or more tasty shoots, ideal for garnishes, pastas and salads.
- The basil: This aromatic herb, which can be consumed in many preparations, especially accompanied with tomato, also reproduces with water. Place about ten centimeters of the stem in a place with direct light. When the roots are 2 cm long, pass the plant to a small pot.
- The romaine lettuce: If you have left the stem of a lettuce Roman, place the trunk in a bowl with a little water at the window. In 15 days (remember to change the water a few times a week) you will start to see new leaves, which will be fully grown a month.
- The"common"onion: As with chives, the onion can also be reproduced very easily. Just plant the root in a pot as deep as you can. Wait until the bulb is fully developed to remove and eat it.
- Ginger: It can be planted on earth as the onion , Although the process is a little longer. It may take a few months for it to germinate. A fully grown bulb takes about 10 months.
- The coriander: As with basil, cilantro grows without the roots, just placing it in a bowl of water. When they are long enough, you can plant them in a pot. In only a couple of weeks you will have new shoots and in two or three months a complete plant.