At any time of the year we can suffer coughs, colds, mucus, congestion, angina, aphonia, etc., and in many occasions we resort to natural syrups that help us to combat those symptoms and step up our defenses.
In this article we explain how you can prepare these syrups at home with natural ingredients, whether you have a health problem or if you want to take them regularly to prevent them. Learn to prepare a flax syrup, one onion and one orange and turmeric.
- The syrups have as traditional ingredient the sugar, which acts as a preservative. Nowadays We recommend using honey bee , Cane or brown sugar instead of white sugar , Since these are much more nutritious and beneficial, and instead the White sugar Makes the syrup not so therapeutic. In the following recipes we will refer to the sweetener, understanding that each person will choose the one that suits him or her.
- Once we have the syrups ready We will keep them in a hermetically sealed glass container and preferably dark (Or wrapped so that light does not enter directly), preferably in the fridge . Since they do not contain more preservatives than sugar or honey, we recommend consuming them in a maximum of two weeks. As they are easy to prepare, the most practical thing is to prepare them just when we are going to take them.
- The recommended dose is A tablespoon of fasting as a prevention, and three tablespoons daily, before meals, as an intensive treatment.
- Always consult a doctor before any treatment, even natural.
This syrup is especially recommended for when we suffer dry cough Or nervous, and in addition It will help us a lot if we also suffer constipation.
We will need the following ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons of seeds linen
- Lemon juice
We will put the linen seeds soaked in a cup of water overnight. In the morning we will paste it and mix the water with the same amount of lemon juice and also the same amount of the sweetener.
The seeds that we have left can use them to add them to other recipes: soups, stews, pasta, salads, tortillas, etc.
This is a natural remedy that allows us to benefit from the many properties of the onion. We recommend it also for those who suffer all kinds of cough Or begin to suffer Symptoms of the cold.
Cut the onions into small pieces and mix them with the same amount of water and half of the sweetener that we have chosen.
We will put the mixture in a covered pot that we will let cook over medium heat for three hours. Next we will pour the liquid and we will have the syrup ready.
Orange Syrup and Turmeric
This syrup is delicious and Helps us to fight all kinds of diseases, So we propose to prepare a good amount. In addition, turmeric is a very beneficial spice, with Anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties.
- 1 liter of organic orange juice and peeling
- A tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 kg of sweetener
We will put the juice, the turmeric and the sweetener to cook in a large enough casserole. When it begins to boil we will stop the fire and let it warm. When it is not so hot we will add the peels of the orange grated or cut into very small pieces. We will leave it to macerate 24 hours. The next day we will paste it and we can bottled it.
Finally we can add to our homemade syrup some more ingredients to further enhance its effects. We recommend the following:
- A few drops of Propolis , Which will help us raise the defenses in general
- Ginger Powder: ideal to eliminate mucus, give heat to the body and lower fever
- Essential oil of oregano (For oral use): this oil helps us to eliminate possible pathogens from our body. It will be enough to add a couple of drops to the syrup and shake it well, since it has a very strong flavor and can be irritating if we take more quantity.
- Cinnamon Powder: Another spice with multiple stimulating properties and also aphrodisiacs.
Images courtesy of Chiot's Run