Fibromyalgia is a disease often confused with arthritis , Which affects 4% of the population, especially women between 40 and 50 years of age. It causes pain in the joints and affects the muscles, but without inflaming them. In the following article we invite you to know what fibromyalgia is and how it is treated.
Characteristics of fibromyalgia
It is a disease or disease increasingly widespread worldwide. It is difficult diagnosis and the first symptoms are not usually taken into account, because it is believed to be a bad movement, poorly sleep , An effort, among others.
Fibromyalgia is a chronic disease characterized by generalized musculoskeletal pain, increased sensitivity and discomfort in certain points of the body. It is located in muscular zones without showing apparent damages in the medical studies, Although the patient shows sensitivity to changes in temperature or physical contact.
It is associated with other health problems, such as morning stiffness, depression, anxiety, Tiredness, headache, abdominal pain, muscle cramps, swelling (subjective) or poor sleep quality.
The causes of fibromyalgia, as well as the ways in which this pathology occurs, are not yet known. However, there is some evidence regarding the mechanisms that could lead to this problem:
- Imbalance in neurotransmitters of the nervous system
- Alteration in levels of certain substances responsible for neurochemical processes
- Dysfunction in the arrival of blood flow to certain cerebral structures
- Basis or genetic predisposition
- Chronic or viral infections
- Inflammatory processes
- Muscular diseases
- Depressive pictures
The most frequent symptoms of fibromyalgia are headed by pain, generalized and chronic, with affection in certain zones in particular, such as the origin of the limbs, around the spine, the neck, the arms, the shoulders, the Lumbar region, hips or thighs.
The pain is continuous and it feels more during the morning when rising, improving slightly throughout the day, although it gets worse in the evening and night . The pain is aggravated if the person stays in a similar position all day (such as in front of the computer), lifting weights, climate changes and emotions.
Another frequent symptom of fibromyalgia is psychological and physical exhaustion, for many days and without relief even if you rest. There are also patients who present:
- Sleep disturbances
- Muscle stiffness
- Irritable colon
- Intolerance to certain drugs
- Dry eyes and mouth
- Cold extremities
- Increased sweating
- Pain in the jaw
- Anxiety heart palpitations
- Problems of concentration and memory
- muscle spasms
- Tenderness in the stomach
- leg cramps
- Feeling of swelling in feet And hands
- Severe pain in menstruation
Home Remedies and Recommendations for Fibromyalgia
Herbs and plants with relaxing muscle properties are best recommended to treat this problem of muscles and joints. Some of the natural recipes are:
- Prepare a tea with two tablespoons of dry thyme and half a liter of water. Drink one cup in the morning and the other at the time you want or the pains begin to appear (in the afternoon for example).
- With the same infusion of thyme and water, fill the tub and place hot water. Dive for 15 to 20 minutes (or until the water cools).
- Soak a cloth or cotton cloth in Apple vinager And performs skirmishes in the painful area and affected by fibromyalgia.
- Boil for five minutes a cup of water and two grams of dried willow bark. If you do not have this tree at home you can get it in natural or dietary houses. Drink two to three cups per day, starting at breakfast . The willow has salicin, just like many painkillers, therefore, will reduce the pain.
- Consume two teaspoons of ginger powder or grated in a glass of water at room temperature. Drink immediately. Repeat again in the day.
- Boil a small spoonful of flowers of St. John's or St. John's wort and a cup of water, for five minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool and strain. He drinks warmly and repeats again in the day.
- Make a decoction of 100 grams of dry horsetail in a liter of water, for half an hour. Remove from heat, strain and drink two cups per day.
- Pour in a liter of white spirit of 45 ° 35 grams of marigold flowers (dried or not). Leave it to rest for 15 days, meanwhile use another natural remedies for fibromyalgia, either covered in a glass jar. After this time, soak a cotton or cloth and apply to the affected area as a compress.
Some tips for treating fibromyalgia
Eat foods rich in magnesium
Some of the options are spinach , Asparagus, lettuce, brewer's yeast and wheat germ.
Add more selenium to your diet
This nutrient is found in orange, apple, cucumber , Pumpkin, garlic, onion and cabbage.
Consume more calcium
Not only dairy will provide calcium, but also green leafy vegetables such as spinach or chard .
Eat more vitamin C
While everyone believes that oranges are the major source of this vitamin, in fact, there are other foods that can help you, such as being Strawberries , Blueberries and cherries.