You may have heard of the Polyps in the colon At some point, even you may suffer them yourself or someone in your personal circle has suffered. Your most basic doubt will undoubtedly be serious? Well, polyps in the colon are mostly benign.
However, they can not be overlooked, because in the long run, they can evolve in a cancerous way. With this, colonoscopy is always chosen to eliminate them. But… What are the symptoms? How can we perceive its presence Today, in our space, we approach this subject. Follow us?
1. What are polyps in the colon?
The simple word may scare you. If at any time your doctor diagnoses"polyps in your colon", it is very possible that you are puzzled, wondering what it is. Are they lumps? Are they some kind of infection? A polyp in The colon Is actually quite common: Abnormal growth Within the walls of the colon or large intestine.
The polyps can be round as you see in the picture above, or rather flat. As you know, this area of our organism is that part that is in charge of channeling and redirecting all the fecal matter that, finally, will be expelled by the rectum.
It is a very vulnerable area at times to bacteria, to inflammations... and it is not strange that, sometimes, this reality appears that, after all , Is quite common. You must not, therefore, be alarmed or immediately think of the worst.
As we told you at the beginning, most polyps are benign. However, they require an intervention to eliminate them from our gut: A colonoscopy. Also note an aspect that doctors tell us: polyps, having a flatter shape, are more likely to be carcinogenic. But once again we focus on you should not be alarmed, there is treatment and usually They are almost always benign.
2. Who is more"sensitive"to having polyps in the colon?
There are people who are more predisposed than others. These dimensions that we refer you now They are only orientative , But never determinants , There is to be clear. Occasionally, we can diagnose polyps in the colon and have none of these antecedents but, generally, we must take into account these factors:
- Be over 50 years old.
- Being overweight.
- To be a smoker.
- Having a family member who has had colon cancer.
- Drink alcohol.
- Have a very sedentary life and follow an incorrect diet high in fats.
What are the symptoms of polyps in the colon?
Most polyps in the colon usually Asymptomatic mode , Especially in its beginnings, when they are being formed. They do not cause pain and, as they are small at first, they do not cause a problem for The optimal functioning of the intestine thick.
However, as they are larger they may already stumble with stool. And when they brush, they bleed. That is when we see the first clues. So take note of these data to keep in mind:
- See your very dark stools.
- Perceive, that when cleaned, there is presence of blood in the rectum.
- Feel some stinging and pain when you are evacuating.
- Feel a certain internal sting when you eat something spicy or very seasoned.
To conclude, we have once again pointed to the fact that many people are discovered polyps almost by chance when other types of Secondary tests . When your doctor has to perform tests to check your frequency, and your number, you should know that you will have to have a colonoscopy.
It is not a comfortable test, but it is very effective. Do not worry and always follow the guidelines that the professionals tell you. It's a little trance that happens fast.
Usually, the doctor will always choose to remove the colon polyps. In the long run they may be carcinogenic, so it's worth getting rid of them. Do not worry, good results are always obtained and patients can continue to carry a normal life.
Can I prevent colon polyps in any way?
Polyps in the colon can not be prevented 100%. There is no technique or supplement that allows us to avoid this kind of realities. However, we can prevent in a small percentage their appearance if we follow adequate and healthy habits of life, besides A food that allows us to take care of the colon and our digestive health. Take note:
- Take care of your weight, avoid obesity.
- It eliminates bad habits, like tobacco.
- Consume daily A green apple.
- Oatmeal is essential for the day to day, it provides us with that essential level of fiber ideal for the colon.
- Each day, on an empty stomach, you can either take a glass of warm water with lemon, or a tablespoon of olive oil With a few drops of lemon juice.
- Infusions with aloe vera and lemon are also very healthy.
- Consume vegetables such as beets, beets, broccoli, artichokes...
- Consume probiotics, essential for bacteria that take care of our bacterial flora.
- A spoonful of mint oil. If you take it 3 times a week after your lunch, you will take care of your intestinal health, purify it inside and heal the entire gastrointestinal tract. It is worth bearing in mind.