We were surprised recently with the news that Angelina Jolie Had undergone a new operation to remove the ovaries and fallopian tubes. An intervention whose purpose was to prevent that type of cancer that already took his mother, his grandmother and his aunt, at very early ages.
It is not the first operation to which it is subjected. The famous actress, 39, already announced a few years ago that she had gone through the operating theater to perform A double mastectomy - removal of the two sinuses - . All this, to escape the genes BRCA1 or BRCA2, which condemned"almost irremediably"to have to suffer a cancer at the least expected.
Now, many have been surprised by these measures as drastic as they are brave, but the question is: is it appropriate? Will it prevent this from suffering this type of illness on the morning?
What does not kill you makes you stronger
This seems to be the motto of Angelina Jolie: "What does not kill you makes you stronger" . She is well aware that the intervention she has undergone recently will change her life. Removal of the ovaries means initiating a menopause Forced, which will cause changes in your body, and even in your health, but you feel relieved. Strong and optimistic.
However, Knew that it was genetically carrying BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes Inherited from their mother and their grandmother, who died when they were little more than 50 years. Losing her life at such an early age causes, as we all know, a family tragedy that the actress did not want for her children. And it was all this that prompted her first to undergo a double mastectomy and then to this operation.
Earlier this month, her doctor informed her that a number of inflammation markers were on her ovaries, already giving the clue to the onset of cancer. At the moment, they were simple Tumors Benign but, given his family history, he had a 50% chance that, finally, Had been in an evil way . The solution was clear: remove the ovaries to prevent the disease.
Was that the right choice? Let's see all the information we have on the subject.
1. Incidence of ovarian cancer
Ovarian cancer is the one with the highest mortality rate among gynecological cancers. Researchers tell us that between 15% and 20% of this disease has a genetic predisposition, that is, having a mother, grandmother or an aunt who suffers or has suffered will cause These probabilities increase by 85% . A very remarkable figure, there is no doubt.
The rest have environmental factors that can be controlled in a high proportion. However, monitoring these factors does not mean that we will avoid ovarian cancer In 100%, but in a high probability. In what way?
- Avoid tobacco.
- Follow a proper diet.
- Avoid obesity.
- Discontinue fertility drugs.
- Do not abuse the Talcum powder .
- Have at least one child.
- Let the menopause reach us at an advanced age.
2. Consequences of ovarian excision
- In the case of Angelina Jolie, the incidence of suffering the disease at some point in her life was 85%. The latest gynecological tests already revealed the presence of a malignant tumor, an ovarian inflammation that, in the long term, could occur in cancer. Hence the option to undergo the removal of the ovaries and fallopian tubes. Now, what consequences does this choice have? Will you avoid having any other type of cancer on the morning?
- Some doctors recommend that, in the case of young women with a genetic background, before using excision, oral contraceptives should be used. It is the most frequent treatment in these cases and may decrease The risk of ovarian cancer by 40% or 50% . However, in the case of the actress, already had a tumor in the ovaries, hence the decision was made for the intervention.
- In women with a strong family history of ovarian cancer, such as Angelina Jolie, who also had Genes BRCA1 or BRCA2 , The extirpation of the ovaries Can be effective. Although, according to the experts, this is not conclusive so that it can suffer, in the long term, another type of cancer.
- The consequences of subjecting a young woman to early menopause are important. You will stop producing estrogen and you will need a replacement therapy Hormonal for a long time.
- The doctors applied in the uterus of the actress a Patch with estrogens To maintain their hormonal balance. Having no family history of uterine cancer, they chose to keep it.
- Women who suffer from Early menopause Experience from emotional problems to physical changes, also heart problems, weight gain, skin changes, early osteoporosis...
In conclusion. The choice of Angelina Jolie has been firm and courageous. With her, she will undoubtedly avoid suffering that terrible disease that took part of her family. However, unfortunately, and for the moment, none of us can prevent 100% suffering from cancer. Despite this, it is worth living with optimism and strength since, as the famous actress tells us, what does not kill you makes you stronger.