Vegetable creams or purees are part of vegan diets. They are a good starter that allows to meet some nutritional requirements of the day. At dinner, accompanied by some protein, it is also a good option.
The ingredients of the creams can include spices, which make them succulent without the need for salted dressings and artificial. On this occasion we will see an exquisite recipe of pumpkin cream dill.
It is said that the pumpkin is, in reality, a fruit. However, being a cucurbitaceous plant (which grows close to the selo), it is equated to a vegetable.
The use of dill in the kitchen and its combination with pumpkin
In gastronomy, almost all parts of the dill are used . The thin leaves are used fresh or dry, although in this last presentation their flavor loses intensity.
Pumpkin and dill are an excellent combination. On the one hand, the pumpkin is soft and sweet; In addition, dill is an herb with an irreplaceable flavor that goes from aniseed to lemon.
Did you know? Create your own garden of aromatic plants
Before knowing the recipe, It is good to know the properties and benefits of the pumpkin , as well as other healthy alternatives for vegetable purées.
Properties and benefits of the pumpkin
In addition to its high fiber content, the pumpkin provides only 26 calories per 100 grams, without fat or cholesterol. It has 6 grams of carbohydrates and one of protein.
What is most striking is that provides a large amount of vitamin A, a protective antioxidant against diseases . This vitamin combats aging, cardiovascular diseases and, in addition, is good for vision.
- Pumpkin is also rich in minerals (iron, manganese, magnesium, potassium and copper) and other vitamins (riboflavin, vitamin C ).
- Many people throw away pumpkin seeds. However, these they can be toasted and they provide a lot of omega 3, omega 6 and vitamin B3, among other fundamental micronutrients.
Ways to thicken a vegetable puree
Normally, to thicken a vegetable puree are indicated fatty ingredients, such as cream. However, there are healthier and lower-calorie options that do not include lipids.
- One of these options is to add one or two peeled and cut potatoes to the broth. When processing, whipping or crushing the cream, it will provide thickness.
- Another very healthy alternative is include a nonfat yogurt without flavor at the end of the preparation . In addition to adding a bit of pleasant acidity, it will thicken the puree and give it a very interesting cream texture.
- Finally, another thickener is a spoonful of cornmeal (10 g) diluted in half a cup of water (125 ml), when the puree has been processed. The preparation must be mounted on the fire and the thickener will be added when starting to boil, stirring constantly.
Pumpkin cream recipe with dill
Discover: 5 protein-rich foods that you should include in your diet
In this preparation the thickener is a potato and the puree has a protein ingredient . The pipes can be obtained from the same seeds of the pumpkin, simply by toasting them with salt in a frying pan and peeling them.
- 2 ½ cups of pumpkin (500 g)
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- 1 medium onion
- ½ green pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large potato
- 1 cup of feta cheese or tofu cut into small cubes (200 g)
- Some twigs of dill
- 2 tablespoons of pipes or pinions (30 g)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste)
- Peel and chop the squash and potato into large cubes.
- Cut the onion and the pepper in quarters.
- Finely chop one of the dill branches and reserve.
- Crush garlic cloves.
- Cook all the vegetables and potatoes in boiling water with a teaspoon of salt until soft. To half of the cooking add the whole branches of dill . Discard them after putting out the fire.
- With electric mixer, liquefy or grind the vegetables with part of the water. Go adjusting the amount of liquid until reaching the desired consistency.
- Return the cream to the heat and, when boiling, add the chopped dill . Turn off immediately.
- Add the cheese or tofu and stir.
- Serve in bowls. Sprinkle a little Pepper white or black and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped dill and pine nuts.
P To finish plowing, a slice of whole grain bread accompanies this dill pumpkin cream very well.