The first thing you should know when wanting to make some delicious homemade tamales is to know that this dish will always look good, regardless of some of the main ingredients. And no, it's not a more cooking trick .
To clarify the confusion a bit, you need to understand that the tamales do not belong to a single country or region . What's more, this recipe finds many similarities with other foods.
In Venezuela , they are known as "Hallacas" Y They consist of three different types of meat stews . In Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia and Mexico, they keep the name but the ingredients, the cooking and the companions change radically.
Today we unify all the criteria and we present you the best recipe for homemade tamales and you can enter the wide world of this preparation.
Now, what is all this about? Well, from a preparation with corn flour, stuffed with a stew, vegetables and sauce to garnish. All wrapped for cooking in a leaf that can be the banana or another plant that resists and covers the tamale.
Remember, the attraction of this preparation lies in the delight of the ingredients, which are several. However, you have to be quite careful when you cook and mix everything. Follow this recipe and you will see that the result will be worth the wait.
Recipe for homemade tamales
With respect to the tamale, your attention should be focused on how the ingredients should be cooked and mixed. Why? Simply because that is the secret of all this recipe . The flavor that they acquire when mixed with the delicious corn flour.
However, you would be in your right to be able to doubt about the nutritional contribution and the excess of carbohydrates that surely must have homemade tamales, but as we have already been letting you know, the key is in the portions.
Without forgetting, of course, that each organism assimilate in very different ways. It's true, corn flour contains carbohydrates, but that's not why it's bad for you. It is also loaded with protein, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants .
It's time to forget the Myths about meals , and in contrast, moment to strengthen the confidence in yourself and new alternatives to eat healthy without having to resort to dishes alien to your culture and possibilities.
- 2 onions (150 g).
- 1 tablespoon of salt (25 g).
- 4 cups of water (440 mL).
- 3 mountain chiles (15 g).
- 1 clove of garlic without skin (6 g).
- 1 kilo of corn flour
- 10 banana leaves (500 g).
- 2 and 1/2 cups of margarine (250 g).
- 5 green tomatoes large (500 g).
- 2 cups of chicken stock (220 mL).
- 3 boneless chicken breasts (550 g).
- 4 tablespoons of sunflower oil (90 mL).
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder (25 g).
- The first thing you should do, even before cutting or taking care of the cooking of the other ingredients, is preparing the dough.
- Take a bowl with 3 large cups of water and add the tablespoon of salt. Then, little by little you will introduce the corn flour and kneading with your hands until you eliminate lumps.
- It is important that the dough is soft enough so you can mold it with the filling.
- If that amount of water is not enough, you can add more until you get the ideal texture.
- Once you have obtained the necessary texture, it is time to season. Use the chicken stock together with the baking powder and knead well until everything is well integrated.
- Now, for the sauce, you must add the water in a pot and grade over medium heat, then the green tomatoes, garlic and onion and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture is cooked, remove them from the pot and take them to the blender where you will crush them until the sauce results.
- Heat the oil in another pot over medium heat and add the sauce for 5 minutes while periodically stirring the whole mixture with.
- Take a banana leaf, add two large spoons of dough, spread them out very well, and pour a tablespoon with sauce and a chicken .
- Almost to finish, you must comply with the previous step until finishing with the whole mass.
- For each tamale that you have almost ready, you must make sure that they are well tied so that they do not disarm.
- Finally, you will put a large pot of boiling water and incorporate the tamales little by little. The idea is that they cook well. This procedure takes about 50 minutes.