Stress is a rigidity or tension caused by different situations distressing or overwhelming . Such situations can trigger in psychological disorders and psychosomatic reactions.
The symptoms that cause stress are diverse and manifest with a more or less strong intensity. We may even feel a slight pressure on the head or typical migraine pains.
Also they symptom vary in each person. It can be migraine, headache, insomnia, fatigue...
When the headache occurs more than twice in the week and for several months, it is said that we have chronic headache.
The causes that cause a headache range from physical, such as the allergies they cause sinusitis , even the psychic ones, like being worried.
Stress is one of the psychic causes of headache with more frenquency.
Some causes of headache
- Keep the head in the same position for a long time
- Work a lot of time in front of the computer
- Abnormal position of the head when sleeping
- Torsions or fatigue of the ocular muscles
- Smoking, t or alcohol or lots of caffeine
- Sinusitis or c nasal congestion
- Cooled or g ripe
The headache caused by stress is not associated with the structural lesions of the brain , nor with serious diseases.
Daily concerns are one of the causes of stress. There is a big difference between thinking and worrying.
When you think, you seek solutions to problems. However, when you worry, you become paralyzed in the same pattern of reasoning. This leads to the fatigue of your mind and causes headaches.
From the psychological point of view, it is of great interest to analyze this disease . Stress mobilizes our brain chemistry and alters the balance of muscles, vertebrae and nerves of the skull.
Thus, it raises the tension and this causes the pain in the head.
When stress is mild or transient it does not cause damage . However, when it is prolonged for a long time, the body remains in a state of alert which causes a weakening of the body's defenses, exhaustion, headaches, etc.
- The headache caused by stress is the result of contraction of the neck and scalp muscles.
See also: Night Headache: What is it?
Symptoms of headache caused by stress
- Low-intensity headache, annoying and continuous. Can be isolated or repeated daily
- Generalized and stronger pain in the temple, scalp and the back of the neck
- Difficulty to sleep
- Muscle pain (shoulders and upper back)
- Sensitivity to changes in climate, to noise and to the light
When the pain is mild it can be treated with home remedies. However, if the pain is severe and persistent, you should see a doctor.
Actions to reduce stress headache
If to the headache by stress you add other symptoms like the muscular tension or grinding teeth , we could end up suffering an intense pain that affects our quality of life.
Therefore, it becomes necessary to be able to handle the situations of our daily life that have a negative effect on our state of mind. For example:
- Enjoy enjoyable activities like listening to music, reading, playing sports, dancing or playing with your pet.
- Take a moment to perform an exercise relaxation , through techniques such as breathing, deep, yoga and meditation.
- Make your life easier: choose what activities to do and manage your time efficiently.
- Seek support. Talking with family or friends allows you to better overcome problems and control stress.
- Get rid of negative thoughts. This way you can cope with stressful environments.
- Being in a good mood is a way to counteract stress. In this way we release endorphins that contribute to a positive attitude.
- Doing exercises prevents and fights stress.
- Massage. With a partner or with a professional with whom you feel at ease.
- In case the pain is caused by the cold, stay warm.
- Change sleeping position. In addition, dopta good posture when reading, work or exercise. Sleep and rest properly.
- Exercise your neck and shoulders frequently.
Main image courtesy of © wikiHow.com