What is Gelocatil used for?

What is Gelocatil used for?

Gelocatil is a trade name whose active ingredient is paracetamol, which was discovered in the German country in 1877. It is a drug indicated in adults for the treatment of pain and fever , for its analgesic and antipyretic action. People who are allergic to paracetamol or to any other component of Gelocatil should not consume it.

This active principle is one of the most consumed in both Spain and the US . It is on the list of medicines that the World Health Organization (WHO) created. This list consists in naming a series of medicines to which any health system should have access. In spite of this, the price difference between developing and developed countries is noticeable, being much lower in the latter.

Throughout this article We will explain the following points about the Gelocatil:

  • Mechanism of action.
  • Pharmacokinetics
  • Indications.
  • Adverse reactions.

Mechanism of action: how does Gelocatil work?

As mentioned before, Gelocatil is a drug that presents analgesic and antipyretic actions , that is, decreases pain and fever. In order to carry out these two effects, it must act in a concrete way in our organism.

As for the analgesic effect, the mechanism of action of this drug is not known exactly . What is known is that it inhibits the synthesis of substances in our body that are responsible for triggering the sensation of pain and are called prostaglandins.

Prostaglandins, which are lipid molecules, besides participating in the production of pain, have other implications in our body such as the production of febrile states, the inflammatory response or its implications in the Birth .

Therefore, by inhibiting the synthesis of these prostaglandins we can not feel the pain, as this does not occur. To do it, blocks the function of the enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX) in the central nervous system (CNS).

As for its antipyretic effect, fever releases a molecule called cytokines, such as IL-1β, IL-6, INFα and β and TNfα. Cytokines enhance the synthesis of prostaglandin E2 in the hypothalamus , which is responsible, through a series of biochemical reactions, to increase body temperature to produce fever.

Thus, as Gelocatil inhibits the synthesis of prostaglandins at this level, gets lower body temperature and with it the fever .

Pharmacokinetics

Detox diet for the liver.

The Gelocatil is an orally administered drug . Its active principle, the paracetamol , is absorbed quickly and completely by the digestive tract, reaching peak plasma concentrations at 30-60 minutes.

Acetaminophen binds to plasma proteins by 25%, so it is not a high percentage. As for your metabolism, 95% of the drug is metabolized in the liver, specifically, in cytochrome P-450 . The other remaining 5% is eliminated directly by urine without being metabolized.

Acetaminophen suffers, above all, reactions of glucuronation and sulphonutrition. Through these reactions a metabolite that darkens urine is produced phenacetin . This metabolite is not toxic, like most, however, NAPQI or N-acetyl-p-benzoquinoneimine, if the drug is taken in excess, if it is.

This is because NAPQI, under normal conditions, is neutralized thanks to glutathione of our body. However, if toxic doses have been administered, the glutathione stores are over and the NAPQI can not be neutralized, which triggers its hepatotoxic effects.

Discover: How to relieve headache

Indications

Due to the analgesic effects of Gelocatil, the drug is indicated in adults who suffer from mild and moderate occasional pain such as:

  • Headache.
  • Dental pain .
  • Muscular pain such as when a person has contractures or pain in the back as it can be in a situation of low back pain.

In addition, thanks to its antipyretic action, it is used in febrile pictures. It must be taken into account that if Gelocatil is administered for the treatment of a febrile and This does not improve during the 3 days of treatment, a doctor must be notified . The same happens in the treatment of pain but after 5 days of treatment.

Maybe you're interested: What is a hemorrhage? What types are there?

Adverse reactions of Gelocatil

What is Gelocatil used for?

The most important and serious adverse effect that Gelocatil can trigger due to its active principle is a Hepatotoxicity , that is, toxicity in the liver. However, a patient taking this medication may also experience any of the following adverse reactions, which, although not as serious, may be more frequent:

  • Both nasal and gum hemorrhages.
  • Decrease in some components of the blood such as leukocytes or platelets.
  • Anaphylactic shock: this adverse reaction is triggered when a person is allergic to the medication. It is quite serious, so it is completely contraindicated the use of Gelocatil in people allergic to it.

Loading ..

Recent Posts

Loading ..